PROPS: What they are and why we use them.
Props include: straps, blocks, blankets, bolsters, chairs, the wall—anything that helps with accessibility, alignment, increased safety, balance, or flexibility. Some props can even make poses more challenging!
Common reasons to use props:
- to increase stability/balance
- for padding and support
- to teach specific actions such as lengthening of the spine or opening of the chest
- to make poses more challenging
- to make poses more accessible
- to allow longer holds in more 'correct' expressions of the poses
- to make proper alignment possible
- to allow relaxation in restorative poses